Hey there! If you’re accustomed to Brainscape’s old editor, you’re in the perfect place to get your questions answered on what to expect from (and how to use) the new editor. It’s not rocket science, we promise, but a little instruction and assistance can go a long way in helping you get the most out of it, not to mention its new, awesome features!
Let’s go ...
- What’s the deal with the new editor?
Brainscape’s tech wizards have created a fantastic new user experience that simplifies the functionalities of the old editor, making it way easier for you to use, while also making future improvements and additions super easy.
This brand new tech is a major step forward, so we’re really excited about it. Don’t worry, the new editor has all the old functionality you’ve been using but with heaps of exciting new features. We’ve also been testing the new editor with new users and power users to make sure they love it as much as we do, but please give us feedback if there are refinements you’d like to suggest.
- What stayed the same?
Our goal in redesigning and updating the editor was to maintain all the functionality that you value—everything you’re accustomed to using is still there—but with a much-improved look and feel. More than just a make-over, we then added a suite of fresh features and functionality that offers users a vastly improved experience!
Basically, you can do everything you used to do … and more!
- What are the editor’s new awesome functionalities?
Brainscape’s new editor has new functionalities that improve the creation of new flashcards, including ...
- A tab structure with three panels that allows you to easily and conveniently switch between viewing flashcards in different formats, from editing to previewing to browsing, the lattermost of which allows you to see what your flashcards look like to learners.
- One editor that merges the functionality of the quick editor and the advanced editor to bring everything together. Yes, some advanced functions are reserved for Brainscape Pro but the new editor offers much more functionality for FREE for all users.
- Intuitively grouped functionality for improved and more intuitive organization makes things a lot simpler and easier for users! So, for example, everything that applies to manycards is found under ‘Bulk Actions’ and anything that applies to the overall deck, under ‘Organize’.
- Improved card list view, which makes it much easier to navigate through your flashcard decks while editing.
- The usual assortment of keyboard shortcuts to help power users to move about quickly, just like they used to in the quick editor.
- A new “drag and drop” function to make adding images and sounds to flashcards much easier.
- Am I gaining any additional access or features for free?
Yes, users will gain more functionalities for free. Woohoo! For example, the bulk actions menu, which used to only be available through the advanced editor, is now available for everyone. This makes it easier to manage the overall structure and order of the cards in your decks.
At the end of the day, we want our Brainscape users to create as much great content as possible, it’s our ultimate goal to shift all editing functionality to 100% free. The only features that would then require an upgrade to Brainscape Pro would be those relating to images and sounds, privacy, security, and specific functionality that most users do not require.
- Can I go back to the old editor?
Unfortunately, we can no longer roll anyone back to the older versions of the editor now that all Brainscape users have been upgraded to the latest version of the editor. We were offering this option for those that were in our earlier beta tests if extenuating circumstances existed, with the understanding that eventually everyone would be using our new and improved editor. While change can be hard, we promise that the features and functionality exist - and more has been added for free, so give it a try!
This will make it easier for us to make even greater improvements of the editor since we won't be maintaining legacy versions, and allow all of our teams to better support our awesome users.
- What happens with my existing flashcards after the switch to the new editor?
Even though the new editor looks a little different, all your content from the quick / advanced editor should render exactly the same. Whew! You can verify this in the preview or browse tabs.
That said, we will soon be releasing future updates that merge the old flashcard formatting into the new format, so please stay tuned about that process and any potential future changes to your content that may be involved. We’ll be in touch with you directly to help navigate these changes as they are rolled out. Plus it's likely your flashcards won't be impacted at all.
- Will anything change if I've shared my flashcards with others?
Nope! If you’ve shared content with others in Brainscape or are collaborating with other editors on any flashcard projects, nothing will change! Remember, we’re making everything easier for you, not harder!
- Will I lose access to anything?
Again: nope! You will not lose access to anything. The only thing that will happen in this transition is that you’ll have to take a look around the new editor, familiarize yourself with the new power at your fingertips, and continue making (even better) flashcards.
Please do note that, in the future, we may automatically format different kinds of content so it looks great on desktop and mobile devices of different sizes. Currently, you control formatting functionality like alignment and the justification of content, but to make your life easier and ensure that everyone can enjoy your content (if you’re not on Pro), we’ll likely simplify everything with automatic formatting.
- What are the three new panels?
As we mentioned previously, we’ve added a tab structure with three panels that allows you to easily and conveniently switch between viewing flashcards in different formats: (1) edit flashcards, (2) previewing flashcards, and (3) browse flashcards: this allows you to see what your deck looks like to learners when they’re browsing through it.
Oh, and when you toggle between these panels, you’ll automatically (and seamlessly) bounce to wherever you are in the deck. Convenience for the win!
- How do I update the text format?
By default, a new deck is auto-formatted with just one basic plain text field. But you can toggle to an advanced view by clicking the icon at the top of the card list, and you'll not only see new "fields" on each flashcard, but you'll see the new formatting toolbar with which you can make text bold, underlined, or in other helpful formats such as bulleted and numbered lists.
- What can I do with the ‘Organize’ menu?
The new ‘Organize’ menu enables you to perform actions that apply to the overall deck, such as:
- Sort flashcards from A to Z
- Sort flashcards from Z to A
- Reverse the order of your flashcards
- Randomize the order of your flashcards
- How do I perform bulk actions to my flashcard decks?
Simple! Everything that applies to many cards is found under the ‘Bulk Actions’ menu, which enables you to:
- Cut flashcards
- Copy flashcards
- Paste flashcards
- Delete flashcards
- Create reverse cards
- Why can I see the Question / Answer at the same time now while studying?
While studying in the old Brainscape, you would "flip" a flashcard and would see the Answer on the "back" side. This was often confusing as you could accidentally "forget" what was on the Question side!
In our new flashcard format, the answer simply "slides up" from the bottom, leaving the Question still visible in the top portion of the flashcard. Cognitive science shows that knowledge "sticks" much better when you're actually able to see the Question and Answer within the same field of vision. It helps your brain make more permanent connections between the concepts.
14. How can I add advanced formatting to my new decks and classes?
If you'd like to add additional formatting to new decks or classes you are creating beyond what you see in the card editor we've got you covered and you can refer to this article for flashcard formatting tips.
Still have questions and can't find the answer be sure to check out our Community page and ask your question or suggest your features! And for more FREE study advice don't forget to check out the Brainscape Academy.