Brainscape supports "importing" a .csv file for more rapid flashcard creation. These files are typically created in a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel, where the creator clicks "Save As → CSV".
To import a .csv file, visit the Brainscape website, and navigate to your Class on the My Classes screen. Then click the Import button at the top of the Decks list. You will be asked a few questions about the desired Deck's formatting, and you will be asked to upload a valid .csv file before submitting.
Tips for preparing your .csv file
To ensure your .csv file is valid, and not rejected by our system, please follow the guidelines below:
- Include only two columns -- Question and Answer -- with no headings row
- [If you want a specific "card index name" (e.g. for the Card List in the mobile app) that is different from the text of the question, then upload a CSV with three columns, where the first column is the index name.]
- Make sure there are no "stray marks" in any additional columns or rows in the file, besides the rows and columns that you want for your flashcards. It may help to highlight all other rows and columns in your spreadsheet program, and delete them
- Avoid copying and pasting content from a web browser or another program (such as Microsoft Word) directly into your spreadsheet. That often brings in funky formatting like "smart quotes" (i.e. curly quotation marks) which are not recognized by web technology. If you have already created content using such a copy/paste method, then try either "removing formatting" (in your spreadsheet program) and/or saving in a .txt file and then re-pasting back into your spreadsheet program
- If you wish to create flashcards with ¡spéciål cháractérs! (e.g. for foreign languages), then you cannot create your CSV file from Excel. (Blame Microsoft, not us!) You must use OpenOffice -- a free open source spreadsheet program that you can download on the internet. When you select Save As CSV in OpenOffice, be sure to check the box "Edit Filter Settings." Then choose character set UTF-8.